is an area of Aberdeen, Scotland known locally as "Fittie".
It is an old fishing village at the east end of the harbour. The area
has had a settlement as far back as the Medieval times and the first recorded
reference to the area of Fittie was in the year 1398. This village was
slightly further North than where Footdee is now located. It would have
been near to where the St Clement's Church is located. The following is
taken from Historic Scotland's Information Supplementary to the Statutory
List: 'Footdee is a particularly interesting example of a planned housing
development purpose-built to re-house Aberdeen's local fishing community.
out in 1809 by John Smith, then Superintendent of the Town's Public Works.
Smith went on to establish himself as one of Aberdeen's key architects.
Occupying an isolated spit of land to the SE of Aberdeen's city centre,
its regimented squares have been described as `a cross between the neo-classical
aspirations of Aberdeen and the close-knit fishing communities of the
Throughout the 19th century, `tarry sheds´ were
added to the communal land within the squares opposite each dwelling and
now every dwelling has its own shed. Originally
constructed from drift wood and other found materials, the sheds have
beenbuilt and rebuilt over the years in a variety of materials with rendered
brick now predominating slightly.Some timber built sheds remain, predominantly
on the North side of North Square. North Square Mission Hall occupies
the central area of the North Square, reflecting its significance as an
integral part of village life. Known locally as `the schoolie´ the
hall was built for general as well as religious purposes and continues
to operate as a multi-purpose meeting space.'